As the President of Blow Vapor, one of my main objectives has always been bringing attention to the benefits of using electronic cigarettes for the purpose of presenting consumers with an alternative to smoking.
Here are some known facts about smoking today:
- A Canadian dies every 12 minutes of a tobacco related disease. Tobacco smoke kills over 37,000 people in Canada each year.
- Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, of which more than 70 are known to cause, initiate or promote cancer and are called “carcinogens”.
- It is estimated that smoking is responsible for 30% of all cancer deaths and is related to more than 85% of all lung cancer cases.
- The average smoker will die about 8 years earlier than a similar non- smoker, however life expectancy improves after a smoker quits.
This is why we are in our business. But to do this successfully, we feel that we have a responsibility to educate consumers about the potential benefits of using e-cigs, so they make the best decision for themselves.
So here are some facts everyone should know about e-cigs:
- E-cigarettes are devices that consist of a rechargeable lithium battery, a cartridge called a cartomizer and an LED that lights up at the end when you puff on the e-cigarette.
- Cartomizers are filled with a liquid that typically contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin and flavorings.
- Electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco or tar, nor do they emit second hand smoke.
- The mist being emitted from an electronic cigarette is just vapor that dissipates within seconds.
- The yearly cost of vaping is significantly less than cigarettes.
- Vaping is an alternative to smoking.
Can vaping really help people quit smoking? On May 26, 2014, 53 specialists in nicotine science and public health policy from around the world issued a joint statement to Dr. Margaret Chan, Director General of the World Health Organization titled “Reducing the toll of death and disease from tobacco – tobacco harm reduction and the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control”.
The joint statement presented 10 highly compelling research-based facts about why tobacco harm reduction policies and alternative low-nicotine delivery systems including the use of vaping should be widely accepted as viable smoking cessation options.
The argument made for using electronic vaping devices to help people quit smoking is fascinating and definitely worth the read.
So where do we all go from here? Our answer at Blow Vapor is that we will continue to do what we believe in and stand up for the rights of consumers who want to use electronic cigarettes with or without nicotine as an alternative to smoking.
Fernando Di Carlo
Cover photo via aimhelix on Flickr